Kaanuk
Kaanuk New Reader
4/20/21 12:19 p.m.

Hello. New here.

I am building an SCCA auto slalom car from the ground up. I have a Yamaha XVZ1200 Venture Royale that is in the process of being stripped and prepped to go into this kart. I have also acquired the complete rear LSD differential, half shafts, hubs and spindles from a G35 coupe (non base) and front hubs and spindles from an STI Subaru. So at this time, having built nothing, my plans are to make this thing have a wheel base of about 75" long and 60" wide (outside to outside).

I am trying to get my hands on some DOM steel tubing 1.25 x 0.090" as per the rules for a vehicle which weighs, however you need to be rich in order to afford more than 1 length, and where I live I'll need to pay around $200 to have it shipped in from Ontario, as no one seems to have any stock locally. 

That all being said, this is a multi year project, so I am in now hurry. I have already purchased some smaller items like steering wheels, and battery master switches, etc. and am trying to identify a wheel ans tire set up which will work and no be a burden on the 100hp/75tq engine set up.

I think because of what I have planned, I will be limited to the smallest diameter wheel of 15", and would like to be around the 8-10" wide range. I plan on either Hoosier A7 or Toyo Proxes RR which have limitations on sizes I need to work with, but the biggest issue is trying to find the lightest 15"x10" wheel with a 5x114.3 or 5x4.5 bolt pattern and as close to 0 backspacing as possible. 

The attached picture is of my current plan, with add IRS and rear diff. This is likely subject to change.

Any suggestions for me? 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
4/23/21 11:13 a.m.

I am of no help, but I like the pictured rig. Any more info on it?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/23/21 12:05 p.m.

SCCA Autoslalom?

Are you talking about autocross (Solo2) or Rallycross?

Where's the rulebook/class you are building to?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/21 1:58 p.m.

There's a guy on youtube (one of many), who is building one on the cheap. He has plans available that seem REALLY well thought out. Let me find it quick.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/23/21 1:59 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/23/21 2:06 p.m.

Looks like his is about 75 inches wide outside to outside, but wheelbase similar.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/23/21 2:09 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

SCCA Autoslalom?

Are you talking about autocross (Solo2) or Rallycross?

Where's the rulebook/class you are building to?

I'm wondering the same thing. I think that you're planning to autocross it, based on the suggestion of Hoosiers or Proxes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zfnpfhfk5HX2JWgtbLBSNEatSrDy3ucSIwb51J93z41WmDWp4Iv1VJIDoS4g3xw0